Our mission: Cultivating farmer-led and community-rooted agriculture and food systems to actualize the rights of under-resourced peoples.
Providence Farm Collective (PFC) is a non-profit organization established in 2019 with a vision of empowering just and equitable access to food and farmland! PFC provides underserved communities and individuals in Western New York with land to farm; business and farming education; affordable fresh produce; a place to share cultural farming traditions and the social, emotional and health benefits of nature. For more information on PFC visit: ProvidenceFarmCollective.org.
PFC is seeking a dedicated and experienced Farm Manager to lead the operations of our unique 37-acre farm with the ultimate goal of improved farm efficiency, productivity, and sustainability. The Farm Manager will oversee day-to-day farm operations and plan for the future, using sustainable and organic farm practices.
- Manage and work with a team of two farm crew to complete necessary farm tasks
- Prepare daily and weekly plans, delegate tasks, and ensure crew understand tasks and expectations
- Train and supervise farm crew, ensuring efficient and productive teamwork
- Provide guidance and feedback to farm crew, including mid-season and end of season performance review meetings
- Foster a positive and collaborative work environment the promotes communication and respect
- Coordinate with Farm Director on prioritizing farm tasks and operations
- Coordinate with Facilities and Equipment Manager
Farm Operations and Management:
- Manage field preparation of 20 acres, including primary and secondary tillage, spreading amendments, and laying plastic
- Utilize best practices for soil health improvement including soil testing, planning cover crops, minimizing tillage, and appropriately amending soils
- Maintain records including but not limited to planting, harvests, amendments, field preparation, sprays, etc.
- Analyzing existing operations, crops, livestock, staff, and financials and recommending improvements.
- Assist in developing farm systems to improve efficiencies and increase production
- Perform regular farm property maintenance including mowing fence lines and general upkeep
- Assist in creating annual farm budget, purchasing, and adhering to budget
- Produce annual field plans / farm maps
- Work with Farm Director and Markets Manager to adjust Demonstration Plot crop plan for 2024 markets
- Manage the half acre demonstration plot and U-Pick plot, working alongside farm crew as necessary, in field prep, planting, fertilizing, weeding, irrigating, harvesting, etc.
- Coordinate with Markets Manager on weekly availability and harvest lists
- At least three years of farming experience, including farm management experience
- Proficient in operating tractors, implements, and walk behind equipment for vegetable production
- Ability to use Google Drive as required to maintain records and data
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated, hardworking, and organized
- Comfortable working with individuals representing a wide range of cultures and languages
- Ability to bend and lift 50 pounds
- Valid driver’s license and personal transportation
Term and Hours:
This is a full-time, year-round position.
Application and Interview:
Providence Farm Collective is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive community; we consider applicants for employment without regard to, and do not discriminate based on, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Qualified farmers and individuals from the communities farming at PFC will be given priority consideration for the position.
To apply please send a resume and a brief introductory note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Base salary is $43,000.00. Benefits include 30 days PTO, 7 paid holidays, and health insurance options.
www.ProvidenceFarmCollective.org ∙ 716-473-9338 ∙ email@example.com